Raw honey is a sweet, thick golden syrup made by honey bees. The raw honey is extracted from the honeycombs of bee hive and contain bee pollen, bee propolis and antioxidants.
Later they are poured into a mesh to separate the impurities including the dead bees & beeswax.
Do you love honey?
Come, let us see the 10 interesting facts on raw honey as follows-
- Raw honey is not pasteurized.
The raw honey is unheated, unpasteurized and unprocessed honey, which is 100% natural. Raw honey does not undergo pasteurization process, unlike the processed honey.
During the pasteurization process, honey is heated at high temperature that makes it easier for the bottling process. This pasteurization process kills all the nutrients naturally present in honey like the enzymes and vitamins. Raw honey is never pasteurized and there is no loss of any nutrients. For bottling, the raw honey is slowly warmed without killing any nutrients present in it. Interesting!!!
- Raw honey doesn’t expire. There is no expiry date for honey. Yes, you have heard it right!!! According to National Honey Board, the raw honey can be kept for centuries if they are kept closed inside the containers.
- Raw honey contains pollen.
The unfiltered and raw honey contains pollen. Bee pollen present in honey is a good thing!!! It has many health benefits as it decreases inflammation, improves immunity, menopausal symptoms and wound healing. The pollen present in the honey can help us trace the raw honey to its source, type of flower the honey is derived from, its country origin and the pollen content ensures that honey is hundred percentage real.
- Crystallization process.
Pure & Raw honey will always undergo the crystallization process!!!! Raw honey is completely natural. It contains glucose, fructose and pollen. Thus, raw honey will undergo a crystallization process. Raw honey after some time, will turn into solid form. The crystallization process in honey can be removed by keeping the bottle of honey in slight warm water.
- Raw honey can be considered healthy compared to the refined sugars.
Raw honey has a lot of medicinal properties. Raw honey is considered to be antibacterial & antifungal. It is used for the treatment of wound. Also, raw honey acts as an excellent cough suppressant. Raw honey can activate your immune system and they provide with energy for a longer duration. Raw honey is considered to have more nutrients as it is less processed as compared to refined sugars. Also, it contains phytonutrients. It contains antioxidants, enzymes, minerals, amino acids, vitamin B and C.
- Raw honey is easier to digest. This is mainly because of the enzymes added by the bees into the raw honey, the sugars in honey are partially broken down, making the raw honey to digest more easily.
- It is a good source of antioxidants. Raw honey contains a lot of antioxidants. The antioxidant compound present in raw honey is called as polyphenols. The antioxidants can fight the free radicals present in the body. These free radicals can cause diseases like cancer and heart disease. Hence, these diseases can be prevented by consuming raw honey to kill the free radicals.
- It has less glycemic index compared to the refined sugar. This means there is less chances for honey to raise the blood glucose level compared to refined sugars. This is due to the lesser fructose content in raw honey as compared to the refined sugars.
- A Honey Bee Works Its Entire Life for 1/12 Spoonful of raw honey. Interesting fact!!!
- Unprocessed, raw honey protects against tooth decay and gum inflammation. [Source]
In short, raw honey is considered to have a lot of benefits. Always try to check the label of the honey to see if it is pure or processed one.
Always try to consume raw honey instead of processed honey. By consuming raw honey, you will get more nutrient enrichment as compared to the processed honey.
Hope, you have enjoyed reading the facts of raw honey!!!